Okayama Castle is in Okayama City, which was the location of...
[Oashi Kogen] Unkai Onsen
Relax in the sea of clouds
Mimasaka, Okayama, Japan
The Mimasaka area in Okayama is blessed with beautiful natural scenery and an abundance of onsen hot springs.
One such hot spring is Unkai Onsen in the Oashi Kogen highlands plateau.
Located at an altitude of 500m (meters) above sea level and with water sourced 1,500 meters underground, this alkaline hot spring is known to relieve joint and muscle pain, aid in the recovery from illness as well as promote overall health and well-being.
Unkai means “a sea of clouds,” and as its name suggests, Unkai Onsen boasts a spectacular view of the clouds seemingly rising from the sea in the early mornings during the fall and winter season.
The open-air bath offers a breathtaking view of the four seasons – with cherry blossoms, mountains, autumn leaves and snow clearly visible.
Aside from the hot spring, there is a lake and bungalow houses for rent (for those who wish to stay overnight). The houses are designed based on a world theme (Australia, Hungary, France, etc.), each one private and comfortable – great for families, lovers, friends, or even just by oneself.
bridge over lake
Bungalow house with jacuzzi hot spring
A serene scene
There is also a golf course, tennis court and swimming pool, and a restaurant and gift shop too.
With clear, fresh air coming from the plateau highland that is Oashi Kogen, one’s mind, body and spirit are certain to be refreshed.
Enjoy and relax in Oashi Kogen Unkai Onsen ~ the hot spring with a sea of clouds.
Oashi Kogen Unkai Onsen
1735 Ueyama, Mimasaka, Okayama, Japan 701-2614
Train / Taxi / Car / Self-drive
- 28 minutes by taxi from Wake Station (JR Sanyo line)
- 35 minutes’ drive from Wake Interchange (I.C.)
- 40 minutes’ drive from the Mimasaka Interchange on the Chugoku expressway
- 55 minutes from Okayama Momotaro International Airport – via Route 255 or 53
- 60 minutes by train & taxi from Okayama Station (JR Line)
- 70 minutes’ drive from Okayama City on Route 27
Hours / Information
- 12:00 – 21:00 (last entry 20:20)
- normally closed on Wednesdays, except when that day happens to be a holiday (then open)
- check webpage for prices and updates
Telephone / Contact details